Career Coaching :Wannabe Promoted ? Need a Plan? #1
Here’s Rainmakers Suggested Personal Promotion Plan
Do not pass GO if you are not doing the best you can in your current position.
- Excellent performance reviews are absolutely necessary to get you a promotion
- Not sufficient but necessary
- Good attendance, punctuality and going the extra mile are also up there too
- Give this a little thought…
- If you show up 5 minutes early and leave a little later
- And that turns into a promotion…
- How much extra income could that be over your lifetime?
- Let’ say the initial promotion earns you £4k a year more.
- It’s rare that people’s salaries go down over their working life.
- Now let’s times the £4k by 20 years …Hmmm £80k
- Now do you think that getting up 5 minutes early is worth it??
Self-market not a self-promote
- Self-marketing focuses on the buyer and doesn’t project an ego.
- Your communication should have lots of “You”s in it not Lots of “I”s in it…
- Try this test…
- Count up the “I”s and “You”s in 10 of your last commmunications
- (Sometimes the “I”s disguise themselves as “We”s) …
- If your communications have more “I”s than “You”s you are probably self promoting
- Try to re-word your communications to have “You”s.. You’ll get the hang of it quickly
- Ask yourself
- What’s your employer’s biggest challenge?
- How can you help them overcome this?
- Market yourself – and let it be known that you are seeking a promotion.
- Share any accomplishments, compliments and accolades with your bosses
Let me know how you get on with these … Any ideas that work for you?